Sunday 17 April 2016

Task 3A - Current Networks


Having never been one for keeping up with social media, apps or generally anything online the idea of online networking is still something I am just starting to get my head around. 
I have always been aware of networking and that is holds some importance, but it not till I really began studying Reader 3 that I started to see its full potential. 
The idea of networking is something that can be an endlessly valuable tool. It is the idea of creating circles or groups of people or contacts that fit into a certain aspect of your life. 
On initial thought I believed I would be able to split my networks into 2 categories, both of which I feel I would correspond with in a different way.   

Personal Network - informal communication such as text, instant messaging, Facebook messenger or twitter 

  • Friends 
  • Family 
  • Some work colleagues 

Professional Network - formal communication such as letter or email  

  • My bosses 
  • The owners of the business I work for 
  • Some work colleagues 
  • People who hold power within my profession

But on making this list it didn't take long for me to realise there are many smaller circles and people who may even overlap into several different circles within my networks.


This got me thinking about a few things...
  1. If there is a "correct" way to talk to people in different networks what happens when people begin to fall into several circles? 
  2. What happens when you want to use an "informal" method of communication (such as instant messaging) to communicate with someone in your professional circle? 
  3. Is there a difference when you post an Instagram photo to your personal account and a business account? 
With social media becoming such a huge part of life and businesses now these are becoming more apparent issues. 

Personally I believe it is becoming irrelevant which method of networking you use. It all comes down to the manner and the language that is used.  It' s about how you communicate. 
For example I use instant messaging to speak with the owners of the business I work for. It enables us to send short messages and receive very quite responses throughout the day. 
However I'm always sure to double check spelling, punctuation, the manner of how the message is worded and I always use full words (typing 'you' as opposed to 'u'). 
This is not something I would bother to do if I were sending a similar message in the same way to a close friend or family member.  


Currently I use about 90% of my social media for personal networking only, I will almost always email for professional matters. However I'm starting to see that there could be more benefits to creating more of an online presents for my professional stuff too.

I currently have a professional or "business" Facebook page, as well as my own private personal account. I used to use this quite regularly when I was networking within the performing arts world, uploading videos, latest photo shoot, promotion what productions or classes I was doing, but since leaving that behind to focus on teaching I have found it doesn't do much for me.

Could this just be because of my progression down a different route that my current network is no longer relevant? 
Will this create a shift into a different network or circle? 

Has anyone else experienced anything like this in their profession?  



This blog post has been full of questions! I'm hoping as I continue with Reader 3 I will begin to elaborate with some answers.  




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Skye I like the way you have split formal and informal communication it helps with separating our private and work life. I agree with you sometimes we cross the two and online communication etiquette can become vague. Now having read the reader I am aware that need to invest in my future practice circle to support my transition. Will you change your social media presence when you start teaching? Have you started networking in you future practice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Victoria,
    I think I will defiantly will have to rethink my social media presence once I start teaching full time. It is not something I have ever really thought about before. It was actually your blog - Task 3C: Sources of Information - that got me thinking about it.
    I have just started to begin forming a new network for my future practice, mainly from the help I get from other BAPP's blogs but I still have along way to go. Do you have any recommendations of Web 2.0 sites that you find particularly helpful?

    ReplyDelete