Monday 18 April 2016

Task 3C - Sources of Information


My main 5 sources of information 


1) Word of mouth 

I am someone who strongly believes you should never underestimate the power of speaking to people! I know it may sound obvious but I'm usually surprised by how many people neglect this as a networking tool. 
You never know who you may have the chance to interact with on a daily bases! 


While I was getting my Degree at college I took a weekend job in a coffee shop to make some extra money. There was a lovely regular who I used to speak to about the weather or her day and one day she asked me about what I was studying at college. Well it turned out she was a singer, about to open her own school in the area and wanted someone to help bringing a dance and performance element to her company. 
From there she invited me to interview for a position in her company. I started by running the dance classes for her school holiday workshops and when I graduated college took a position running weekly classes for all age groups. 
This was the first full time dance teacher position I ever had and it's really what inspired me into doing this course so I can teach on a daily bases. 

2) My smart phone

I use my phone on a daily bases for an infinite amount of useful things. Yesterday as part of my journal I decided to make a note of each application and for what purpose I used on my smart phone throughout the day just to see exactly how dependant on it I am. 

This is the list,

  • Clock - I use the clock app on my phone as an alarm to wake up in the morning 
  • Music - I listen to music on my way to work
  • Google - I Googled when the supermarket would shut 
  • Maps - I used Maps to locate where an open super market would be 
  •  Facebook - I used Facebook messenger to send a message to a friend
  • Twitter + Instagram - I used both to post a photograph 
  • Halifax app - I used to check my bank balance 
  • Text - I sent a text to my Mum 
  • Ebay - I used the Ebay app to search for a new watch 
  • Gmail + Yahoo - I used both email apps to send and receive both professional and personal emails
  • WhatsApp - I communicated with at least 5 different people using this app 
  • Calling - I called suppliers for my work
I think its fairly safe to say it's an extremely important device for collecting information, keeping me organised and on time and making me fully able to communicate with anyone any where.  

3) Facebook


Facebook is an extremely useful source of information and networking for several different reasons.
I allows you to see and follow everyone you know from all different circles of your life.It also allows you to communicate freely and instantly with them. 
You can also "like" pages and be part of select "groups" that can be great sources for specific information. For example there is a Facebook group called The Hustle where professionals from all over the country (sometimes even the world!) within the Performing Arts industry can post jobs, helpful tips, ask for information, post about auditions, basically anything performance related. 


4) Books

I know it may seem old fashioned but books are a fantastic way of gaining information. 
One of the very first things I did when moving into the city was to sign up to the library. 
Since then it has been and endless hub of information not just for my professional work but also just in times of relaxation and down time. 

5) Youtube

Youtube is a great platform for all kinds of information and entertainment. 
I use Youtube for 

  • Finding music for routines, classes and my own enjoyment. 
  • Uploading videos so I can share them
  • Watching videos my friends have uploaded 
  • Watching videos in order to visually learn how to do something

---

One main networking tool and source of information I hadn't counted on before enrolling on this course was how much I can learn from other people's blogs. I have found it fascinating how so many like minded people can create ideas and share them so easily with one another, each helping the other to grow and develop new ideas. 
One blog I found particularly interesting regarding this section was Task 3C: Sources of Information by Victoria Vickers. I particularly like the issues she brings up about confidentiality on social media as it is something I hadn't thought about before. 

I'm keen to read more blogs and learn more about other peoples main sources of information.  

No comments:

Post a Comment